Monday 14 June 2010

A week in Yorkshire.

So Monday morning Ju offered me a lift down the road, she was heading down most of the way anyway. We spent the day in the car and just as we got out to call my mum I dropped my mobile and broke the screen. Fabulous.

I borrowed mum's handset for a few days an to be honest, most of the next week passed in a blur, we drank wine, we watched bad films, we ate food as a family and we designed the orders of service and viking boat burial cards for the funeral. My aunt often said she wanted a boat burial, but that's not really possible in Yorkshire, so instead we wrote cards with messages for her and sent them to the creamtorium with her.

My older cousin, her daughter, was perfectly well behaved, despite her behaviour before Christmas. she read a poem at the funeral and even seems to have buried the hatchet with my mum, though some interesting revelations came out about her previous behaviour...

Another of my cousins had her birthday the night before, so I went out to stay with her, drink wine and watch silly movies. Her cat kept us both company and it was great to have a bit of normality.

We tried our best to stay positive, and none of us were allowed to wear black, so I wore my dress from my birthday pary and a bright pink cardi, along with some flowers in my hair. The service was wonderful. It was poignant, funny and true to her and I held it together right up until the closing music (which unfortunately they played on tonight's Glee leaving me a snotty mess after some more bad news, but that's for anotehr time)

We did consider playing Ding Dong The Witch's Dead but we were overruled...

So that was my week in Yorkshire. Until next time I see trees of green, and red roses too...

No comments:

Post a Comment