Friday 23 October 2009

Busy bees and buzzy bees.

Today we packed our house. Everything we own, bar our bed and sheets, kettle and mugs, is now in a removal lorry. They're coming to pick up the bed at 7.30am and then we're driving to the new house. It took about four hours to get everything loaded up so hopefully unloading will be as quick, if not quicker! I'll be occupied with moving in tomorrow at least, I spent today wandering around feeling redundant, an old back problem is aggravating me at the moment so all I could do was sort the laundry and make cups of tea. I've just packed the rest of the glasses and cutlery and I'm going to write this and go to my bed as I've got six hours until I have to be up again.

I'm also knitting bumblebees! The friends that came round to help the other day were very taken by my bees so they're all getting knitted bees before I go away. Which is tomorrow. I've done one so far, I'd even stuff him but unfortunately my needles are all in the moving lorry *rolls eyes* Luckily I know exactly where they are so I can get them out as soon as the crate comes out of the lorry and I can do the sewing on the way back down tomorrow night for the party.

Tonight we were meant to have dinner with some friends but one of them has been diagnosed with the dreaded swine flu. She's absolutely fine, just a bit miserable and wheezy. It led to a few tears when they called to tell us they weren't coming round, I'm getting a bit sad about it all but keeping going. I'm continuing with my plan to make everyone else feel better about the move and refuse to get upset about it until I'm sorted in the new house.

I've burnt myself. Again. I now have three lines on my right hand, from oven shelves and the toastie maker. They're all parallel or perpendicular to each other and are very pretty. I'm not safe to be let out alone! I am extremely clumsy, to the point of idiocy and this seems to be my latest habit. I seem to go through phases, sometimes it'll be bashing into door handles, sometimes dropping things, at the moment it's burning, which hurts more than the time I got glass stuck in my the sole of my foot (which I of course managed twice in the same day, from the same glass, despite having swept and hoovered the floor).

So, tonight is a sad one for me. I'm sitting on my living room floor with my laptop and a glass of water thinking that this time tomorow I imagine our friends will have left and we'll be sleeping in our house for the last time. This wasn't the first place we lived in together but it was the first we bought and we were the first people to ever live in it, now someone else is going to live in it, it'll be their house to make their own. I can't invite my friends round for dinner on the spur of the moment and let them stay if they have a drink, and I can't just nip into town and run the chance of meeting someone I know at the local pub.

So, for now, I shall take my water to bed (and set it on the floor, as my bedside table has gone) and get some sleep so that tomorrow night when I'm saying goodbye I don't fall asleep or collapse into a gibbering drunken wreck. Then I shall look to the future, to the lovely new house we're moving into, even if it is only temporary, to the new job my husband is starting and to the new job opportunities available to me. And who knows, maybe one day I'll make some new friends. And if not, if the worst came to the worst, I have my old ones, the ones who have seen me this far, and they all have spare rooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment