Wednesday 7 October 2009

Seven days/one week.

In the last seven days we have organised quotes from removal firms (and all I can say is thank all that's good and holy that we're not paying for this, £1000 to move my furniture from one house to another? Really?) We've even started looking for somewhere to live, and are going to view a gorgeous house tomorrow. We haven't sold our house, but again, we can get help from the local authority who have hired my husband to pay the rent on a new house with for a while, so we're not quite destitute yet. Now we just have to pray that the house is suitable, available and they are happy with us moving into it and we can get the paperwork signed imminently so that we can organise a moving day! We've also organised the leaving party (the most important bit!) and told all our friends we're going, to various reponses (ranging between excitement and joy and tears and tantrums)

I've also decided to knit something real, not just bumblebees, soft toys and scarves. I knitted a pair of (very simple) slippers on Sunday and I'm about a third of the way through a huge hoodie, which means that my wrists ache, my back hurts from leaning over it and my eyes are very much crossed. But it's lovely so far :D This is, in case you can't tell, a very effective method of procrastination from actually packing and being useful. Though, to be fair, I have, so far, singlehandedly packed the wedding china, wine glasses, champagne flutes, mugs, serving dishes, egg cups, vases, wine coolers, ornaments, books and DVDs while my husband cleared the office and dismantled the flatpack furniture. We're left with the old crockery and mugs I've had since I went to boarding school age 16. It's like being a student again, which is, at least, fun :)

Once the house is sorted and we can arrange a moving date we need to start cancelling subscriptions, Sky, internet etc and organising mail redirection since you're supposed to give several weeks notice for that (oops). We've also got mobile phone contracts to change (although at least we both use paper-free billing) and banks to argue with (always fun)

For now though, I'm doing what I always do in times of crisis. I've ordered several books from Amazon, I've arranged a lot of nights out with friends (despite having my purse emptied during dinner on Sunday night, luckily there was only £30 in it, I refuse to be jaded by the city given that this is the first time anything like that has happened in the six years I've lived here) and I'm currently most of the way through a bottle of wine and a good movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment